Saturday, May 23, 2009

yanowhatimean?



So I have a few things to get off my chest today, so I decided to opine freely right on this here blog. I'll try to make this quick, but I would LOVE it if you experience a few "oh, snap" moments with me. If you do, comment please!!! I'm dying for commiseration and vindication in my WTF?-ness on these topics.

1.
First of all, I know I'm probably REALLY late to this party (don't watch TV), but what the HELL is this freakish show Mad Money and how does Jim Cramer suck so badly? He's gotta be an alien. In this clip (above) he goes off on Obama being the cause of the economic issues. (Warning: if you watch this viddy, it's long.) 

But it's not Jim's dumb ass insights that annoy me as much as his madcap gestures and self-aggrandizing. He looks like he needs medication. It's disturbing that this is a financial show. If it were like a kid's show and Jim was Bozo, I'd be down. 

And yes, I realize that me commenting on his assy lameness is just adding to his buzz, but I was just so needing to get this off my chest, it trumped all logic. When I first saw Mad Money at my nabe's gym, I was on the elliptical machine and staring gape-mouthed around me at all the other people working out, trying to make eye contact with at least one other person that was disturbed by this, but everyone just went about their elliptical-ing and ignored me. Can I get an AMEN, peeps? 

2. 
Family Guy is getting so misogynistic lately that it makes me sad. The worse thing is that more dudes that I've gone out with lately LOVE the show, and I realize somewhere deep in my heart, that this makes them kind of repulsive to me somehow. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved Family Guy when it first came out. The show helped me get through a knee surgery recovery period with a smile on a my face. I think the flat-out hatefulness of the show was less intense in earlier seasons. And, to be honest, I do really love American Dad right now. And that show is also created by Seth MacFarlane, (the dude behind Family Guy), and also has its share of misogynistic undercurrents. 

But it's just not as deeply, ugly, bluntly misogynistic as Family Guy. I have no time to give you all a feminist's blow-by-blow recap of an episode, but check this post out if you need it laid out for you. Lois is pretty much always getting ripped on, shot at, splooged on, and the like. It's just dehumanizing. And yeah, I know it's a freakin' cartoon. So I guess that's why I'm wondering why it has to be so unfunny? I feel like dudes who really think the latest Family Guy episodes are funny are guys who have been emasculated or have a really small penis. It sucks to be a dude and not a have a nice penis. Is that the problem, Seth? Do tell...


3.
Okay, so I love the sheer simplicity of the original idea--a messaging utility with versatility. But even with all the apps, plug-ins, and buzz around it, I still find myself wondering if it will ever be a money-making model. And even if it is, will it make up for all the useless hours I've spent talking about it? 




2 comments:

  1. Ok, JC, you incited me to comment.

    Jim Cramer:
    I'd seen the show a few times accidentally and thought it was merely an infomercial. I was shocked to find out people actually followed that guy's advice. Then comes Jon Stewart...
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=220536&title=jim-cramer-pt.-1

    Family Guy:
    Yes, I call it the dumbing of TV. Season 1 of any truly new show is pretty broad as it introduces new meterial, format, or characters. People love it and it gets renewed. Season 2 explores broad topics and categories. Season 3 tries to tread new ground and do something different, this is usually where they fail. The good ones take off for a bit. Those successful enough to make season 4 begin to suffer from oversight as the management starts to want to keep up the good work. They get entrenched, the original authors get bored and begin on other projects and the junior writers try to crank out a formula that works for most people. The spark is gone, all that's left for Family Guy is Tuesday night sex and Thursday's meatloaf.
    Family guy fought off the trend for a long time but I think that MacFarlane has checked out of the franchise.
    As a man I say, I don't find Family Guy funny any more, well, except when I'm drunk but then even Mad Money is funny.

    Twitter:
    You know my opinion of Twitter. The mature person would leave it at that. The immature person would say "I told you so." The clever person would try to work "I told you so" into a mature response as many times as he could without making it look like he was saying "I told you so."

    ReplyDelete
  2. paranoid sailor, be my pal. Follow me on Twitter @Mslogic77. You are rad.

    ReplyDelete